So, confession, I’ve been hoarding all of the canned pumpkin. If there is a worldwide shortage of canned pumpkin, they will be knocking on my door. You know how people buy canned goods constantly just because, you know, to stock their pantry and such for a possible doomsday? Well, if we ever have to live underground for doomsday…well, let’s just say 20 cans of pumpkin is not gonna get us too far!
So, on that note, let’s clean out my pantry & start making some yummies with all that pumpkin!
Today I have for you one of my favorites – Pumpkin Tortilla Soup.
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon), minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15oz) can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- Cut 4 of the tortillas into 1/2 inch squares.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, and squared tortilla pieces; Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft.
- Add cumin and sauté for another minute.
- Add pumpkin, tomatoes, vegetable stock, and salt; Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and let simmer for one hour.
- While the soup is simmering, cut the remaining 2 corn tortillas into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking. Fry tortilla strips until crisp and golden. Transfer tortilla strips to towels to drain.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with tortilla strips and avocado.
Adapted from The Kitchn
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cookies; Oooh the ideas are endless on what you could make with all my pumpkin!
What’s your favorite thing to make with pumpkin? What should I make next?
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, and can also be gluten free if used with gluten free vegetable stock.
(Disclaimer: As I dabble in vegetarian, vegan, & gluten free recipes, I am by no means an expert. If you have allergies or special dietary needs, please read the recipe carefully for accuracy. Due to the individualized nature of allergies and food sensitivities I highly recommend you consult your physician before trying something new.)
xx ♥ m